The Joys Of Running (026, Jan 2012)

The first Banter of ’12 took a look at the joys (and pains) of running with Ian O’Riordan (Irish Times and author of “Miles to Run – Promises to Keep”), Raedi Higgins (Runs Like A Girl) and Barry Redsetta (Pogo, Jam the Box), with couch-to-10k newbie JIm Carroll keeping an eye on the split times. Topics included the current boom in running, previous booms in running (or, as Ian noted, “the jogging boom” which has now become the running boom), the Olympics, running in Kenya, races, shin splits, ultramarathons, training regimes, the costs of running and much, much more. A great turn-out too and we’ll definitely be doing more sports-related Banters in the future.

It’s The End of 2011 As We Know It (And We Feel OK) (025, Dec 2011)

Banter’s annual Review of the Year session – It’s The End of 2011 As We Know It (And We Feel OK) – turned out to be a fantastic evening’s entertainment and brain stimulation thanks to our reeling-in-the-year panelists Sinead GleesonMiriam O’Callaghan and Conor Pope and some superb contributions from the Bantering classes in the audience.

Topics covered included elections, the euro, positivity, optimism, the media, Twitter, sovereignty, independence, Queen Elizabeth’s visit to Ireland, the Arab Spring, the Occupy street movements, Other Voices, Wikileaks, referendums and good news stories.