Banter’s Conversation With Nile Rodgers (033, July 2012)

When we started out doing Banter back in 2009 in a tiny room upstairs in the Twisted Pepper, we never thought we’d end up here. A packed room in the Meyrick Hotel on Galway’s Eyre Square and the legendary Nile Rodgers in the Banter frame.

Our first involvement with the Galway Arts Festival, Banter’s Conversation with Nile Rodgers was a fantastic hour in the life of the man behind dozens and dozens of Chic hits, the producer who worked with everyone from David Bowie to Duran Duran and the author of the fantastic “Le Freak” autobiography. Many yarns were told as Rodgers talked and talked and talked some more. Every so often, he’d get the audience to yell “freak out!” which is something we must try out at future Banters. He even gave out to us for talking too fast and asking long-winded questions. Total legend.

Thanks to all at the Galway Arts Festival and Gugai at the Roisin Dubh for their help with this event.

Irish Culture and the Way It Might Not Look At You (032, July 2012)

Banter‘s annual odyssey to Donegal for the Earagail Arts Festival lead us to the late, great painter Derek Hill’s kitchen (complete with a Picasso on the wall) at the Glebe House and Gallery in Churchill just outside Letterkenny for the Glebe Cultural Summit.

Our contribution to the Summit was Irish Culture and The Way It Might Not Look at You. This saw film-maker Lenny Abrahamson, performer Little John Nee, Dublin Fringe director Róise Goan and writer and broadcaster Sinead Gleeson taking part in a lengthy, intriguing, entertaining and provocative look at how Irish culture, from books to films to theatre, has dealt with – or has not dealt with – the issues and stories of the Irish boom and bust. Thanks to Derek O’Connor, Paul Brown and all at the Earagail Arts Festival for their help with this one.

Derek Hill’s kitchen. Photo by Ianthe Ruthven