Review of the Year (Banter 040, Dec 2012)

If it’s (nearly) December, that can only mean one thing. It’s time for the Banter Review of the Year.

Going on our track record when we went reeling in the year in 20092010 and 2011, the Review of the Year is always a splendid, entertaining and enlightening night out as our all-star panel run the rule over the events, news stories, heroes and villians of the past 12 months.

Talk to Joe at Banter

Joining me to look back at what was what in current affairs, politics, Ireland, sports and international news during a very busy, eventful and memorable 2012 will be Joe Duffy (Liveline, RTE Rado One), Emmet Malone (The Irish Times’ football correspondant) and Una Mullally (journalist, broadcaster and blogger).

It all happens at the Twisted Pepper, Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1 on Wednesday December 12 (doors open 7.30pm the Banter gets going at 8pm sharp). Admission is free but you must sign up in advance to our guestlist here.

Please note that we expect this one to be very busy and we expect a full house in the newly extended main room in the Twisted Pepper so make sure you sign up for it today.

The Banter Salon at Foxy John’s (039, Dec 2012)

It gives us great pleasure to head to Dingle, Co Kerry on December 1 and 2 for the Banter Salon at Foxy John’s as part of this year’s Other Voices festival in the town. It’s our first time in Dingle, our first time at Other Voices and our first time to host a Banter in a hardware shop. Yes, it has been a year for unusual Banter venues.

The Banter Salon arrives at Foxy John’s for Other Voices

The Banter Salon at Foxy John’s will feature a wide variety of discussions and conversations over the weekend including:

– Guardian media writer Lisa O’Carroll on a wild year for the media business

– Jerry Kennelly (Stockbyte and Tweak) and Kieran Murphy (Murphy’s Ice Cream) discussing where the spark to create something innovative come from

– Historian and author Diarmaid Ferriter on a decade of centenaries and if your ancestors realised what was coming down the line in 1912

– From the Silver Threads of Hope anthology of new Irish short stories, Peter Murphy and Siobhan Mannion read from their work and are joined by anthology editor Sinead Gleeson for a discussion about Irish literature in post-boom Ireland

The Observer’s editor, John Mulholland, on the view from the editor’s desk in 2012.

– Poet Paul Muldoon on his new book The Word On The Street: Rock Lyrics and

– Dermot McLaughlin, director of Derry City Of Culture 2013, on what’s ahead for the Maiden City in 2013.

There will also be performances at the Banter Salon on both days from various acts playing at Other Voices.

Admission will be free, but capacity is strictly limited so it will be first come, first served when doors open each day at 4pm.

The Politics of Showbiz (038, Nov 2012)

After The Anti Room takeover last week (so good that we’ll definitely do it again in 2013), it’s back to business as usual at Banter this month. The politics of showbiz is a topic which has been on the to-do list for ages and it’s great that we’ve finally got around to it.

The biggest growth area in media coverage over the last few years has come from showbiz, social diary, gossip and entertainment pages, websites, TV sections and radio shows. This is the media’s real appeal for many readers – not investigate journalism or hard-hitting political exposes, despite many hacks and editors think.

Banter will look at the people on the showbiz desk and those who feature week in and week out in those pages. Who decides who gets covered and why? What do readers get from this? Are readers just a nosey bunch living vicariously through all this coverage of parties and launches or does it say something more about our psyches? And what exactly are the politics of showbiz?

Our showbiz panel: Rosanna Davison (former Miss World, model and columnist), Eoin Murphy (Entertainment Editor, Irish Daily Mail and Mail On Sunday) and Niamh Horan (The Sunday Independent).

Diary date: Wednesday November 21 at the Twisted Pepper (Middle Abbey St., Dublin 1). Doors open at 7.30pm, the bantering starts at 8pm and admission is free but you need to sign up to the invite list here.

Mo’ Banter: our annual review-of-the-year takes place at the Twisted Pepper on December 12. And eyes peeled for some very special Banter news next week.