Banter at the Kilkenny Arts Festival (057, Aug 2013)

As has become the norm over the last few years, the Banter series of talks, yarns, conversations and discussions likes to hit the road over the summer. We’re going to be at the Kinsale Arts Festival on July 13 and we’ll also be back in Derry for the CultureTECH festival in September, but we’re also heading to the Kilkenny Arts Festival in August for not one, not two but three very special Banter sessions over the course of a week.

KilkennyArtsFestival201320133261123705

The idea of doing some Bantering in the Marble City first came about at last year’s festival and, with huge thanks to festival director Rosemary Collier and her team, we’ve managed to put together a damn good programme, including one or two sessions which we’ve been hoping to do for ages, for the festival’s 40th anniversary.

Banter On Music
Set Theatre, John Street; Saturday August 10

Everybody Loves Our Town

When it comes to the story of the Seattle grunge explosion, Mark Yarm’s fantastic oral history Everybody Loves Our Town is one of the definitive reads on that fabled city and such bands as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Mudhoney and more. The Guardian called it “a Herculean work of interviewing and editing which gives everyone a voice, from the biggest stars to the lowliest foot soldiers”. Mark joins us at Banter to talk about the book, the Seattle scene and the grunge legacy.

grungestory1_2022954f

Everybody Loves This Town

Around the same time as Seattle was blowing up, Kilkenny was having its own moment in the sun thanks to a host of local bands, a brilliant dive venue called the New Park Inn and a host of other factors. Cormac Battle (Kerbdog2fm), Canice Kenealy (Engine Alley) and Malcolm Noonan (Jerusalem Taxis) rewind the city’s musical legacy.

The Neil Hannon Retrospective In 35 Minutes

Neil Hannon performing at the Other Voices Festival 2013 in Derry

The story of Neil Hannon, The Divine Comedy“My Lovely Horse” and the Duckworth Lewis Method in 35 minutes.

Banter On Music will also feature special guest performances during the course of the afternoon.

Banter On Fashion
National Craft Gallery, Wednesday August 14, 7pm

What the hell is Irish style?

It’s our favourite kind of Banter panel – one with a lot of questions. What is Irish style? Is there such a thing? How does it manifest itself in Irish fashion? Is Irish style bright orange in colour? Do Irish men know anything about style? What does Irish style look like in the future? Our panel for this walk down the catwalk: Angela Scanlon (TV presenter, fashion writer and stylist) and Sonya Lennon (RTE Off the RailsLennon Courtney).

Banter on the Big Issues
The Parade Tower at Kilkenny Castle, Saturday August 17, 2pm

The campaigners

Maeve O’Rourke (Justice for the Magdalenes), Orla Tinsley (cystic fibrosis rights campaigner) and John Smith (Trócaire campaigns co-ordinator) talk about the work of a campaigner, the inspirations which drive them, the choices they have made and the victories (and setbacks) they have faced.

State of the art

The Kilkenny Arts Festival turns 40 this year so it’s timely to look at the past, present and the future of the arts sector in Ireland. Colm Tóibín (novelist and playwright), Maureen Kennelly (arts producer, programmer, curator of the Mountains to Sea DLR Books Festival and former director of the Kilkenny Arts Festival and Cúirt International Festival of Literature), Donnacha Dennehy (composer and Crash Ensemble founder) and Willie White (Dublin Theatre Festival artistic director and chief executive) discuss what we’re learned over the last 40 years, the issues which the arts sector believe should be sorted out today and where things go from here.

Political reform

It is the great cry of the political chattering classes: we need reform! Yet as various opinion polls have showed, the Irish electorate place the need for reform very far down on their list of priorities. Just how serious are we about reforming how our political system works – or doesn’t work? Is it merely a case of some politicians paying lip service to the idea to score points or is there an actual hunger for meaningful, pragmatic change? A conversation with  Harry McGee (Irish Times), Sarah O’Neill (Dailwatch), Eamon Ryan (Green Party leader) and Mary O’Rourke (former government minister, TD and senator) about the real issues behind the clarion call for reform.

Tickets are now on sale for all three Banter sessions from the festival box-office. Admission is €13 and €11 or you can buy a special Banter bundle for all three Banters for €30.

Banter on the Liffey (056, Aug 2013)

 Banter on the Liffey will see us hosting pop-up talks in three Liffey-side venues on August 8 as a taster for the Liffey Legover festival which will taking place at the Twisted PepperGrand Social and Workman’s Club later in the year.The Banter on the Liffey menu is as follows:

The Tony Fenton Retrospective In 35 Minutes – the Today FM legend on his life on and off the airwaves (Workman’s Club Vintage Room, 7pm)

The Liffey and me – visual artist Fergal McCarthy on how the river has influenced his works like Liffeytown and No Man’s Land (Grand Social Ballroom, 8pm)

Dives, sweatboxes and ballrooms – Come Here To Me’s Sam McGrath on the life and times of some of the city’s most celebrated music venues (Twisted Pepper, 9pm)

Admission to all events will be free. It’s going to be a hoot.

Banter on the Liffey – artist Fergal McCarthy in the Liffey

Wonder Women! (055, Aug 2013)

We’re delighted to accept an invitation from the GAZE International LGBT Film Festival to host a panel at their upcoming event.

To coincide with a screening of Kristy Guevara-Flanagan’s documentary Wonder Women! The Untold Story of American Superheroines, our Wonder Women panel will be discussing pop culture’s representation of female power on screens and in print.

Join director Kristy Guevara-FlanaganFilm Fatale’s Anna TaylorSplinister writer Maura McHugh and myself for the discussion at the Lighthouse on Saturday August 3 following the 4.30pm screening of the documentary. Admission is free if you have a ticket for the screening.

More information on the GAZE programme here.

A Conversation with Peter Hook (054, Aug 2013)

August is set to be a very busy month at Banter with trips to the Kilkenny Arts Festival and a few more specials to be announced later this week, but we start the month with a bang.

Peter Hook is the man who was there to see and experience it all with Joy Division, New Order, the Hacienda and Factory Records and we’re as proud as punch to welcome him to Banter to talk about all of the above and a whole lot more besides.

It's Hooky! Photo by Mark McNulty (http://markmculty.co.uk)

It’s Hooky! Photo by Mark McNulty (http://markmculty.co.uk)

It happens at the Twisted Pepper (Middle Abbey St., Dublin 1) on August 1. Doors open at 6pm and the interview starts at 6.30pm. Tickets are now on sale (free admission if you’ve a Blur ticket). Peter Hook will also be DJ-ing at the Twisted Pepper that night.

“BUT what about the MENZ?!” (053, July 2013)

It’s Banti Room time again, people. Over the last few months, Banter has had great sport teaming up with the ladies from The Anti Room for various talking shops. It’s even inspired our own take on masculinity a few months ago.

This one, then, is also for the men (or menz). Conservatives are fond of accusing feminists of ignoring men’s voices. “But what about the MENZ?!” they cry in their non-shrill, unhysterical, deep voices. Fear not: The Anti Room have invited an all-male panel to discuss gender roles, stereotypes and what feminism means to them.

The menz with the answers: Stephen Donnelly TDPatrick FreyneJohn Byrne and Mark O’Halloran. The womenz with the questions: Anna Carey and Sinéad Gleeson

It all takes place at the Twisted Pepper (Middle Abbey St., Dublin 1) on Thursday July 25. Doors open at 7.30pm and the Bantering begins at 8pm. There’s limited free admission if you sign up here.