Banter at CultureTECH, Derry (059, Sep 2013)

One of the big highlights of Banter 2013 was our trip to Derry back in February as part of Other Voices’ trip to the current UK City of Culture. The city was buzzing and rocking and we had a great time, so it’s fantastic to be heading back to Derry in a few weeks’ time for a run of Banters at CultureTECH.

The best and most apt word to describe the CultureTECH programme is massive. From September 9 to 15, the epic festival of technology, music, media and arts will feature over 100 different events and sessions. As they say themselves, this “big messy week” is “a gathering of interesting people – doing interesting things – who all want to learn, share and have a blast”. It sounds like our sort of week.

Banter at CultureTECH will star:

Fiona McAnena from Clearhound on nudge theory, behavioural economics, the art of hidden persuasion and how governments can coax us to insulate our attics.

Fred Bolza, Vice President Creative Group Sony Music UK, on the music business’ relationship with innovation

Sam McGregor from Signature Brew on some new takes on music merchandising

Dude, where’s my audience?Jay Onda (NTT DOCOMO), Wilson Kriegel (Paltalk and ex-OMGPOP) and Aaron Taylor (GoPrezzo) on recalibrating your business model to engage with audiences who now reside on a plethora of platforms

David Emery, formerly Head of Marketing for Beggars Group and now Marketing Director at Kobalt Label Services, on the art and business of music marketing

The view from CERN: a conversation with Steve Myers, Head of Accelerators at CERN

A year in the life of a music startup: Brendan O’Driscoll from Soundwave on his crazy year

In the frame: legendary music photographer Michael Spencer Jones on his craft

Cellist and composer Peter Gregson on music, projects and the Electric Creative Colab

Something good: dance legends Utah Saints on their life in music

Mobile music’s big beastsAdam Perry (BandAppBloodhound Gang), Colin Doran (BandAppHundred Reasons) and Stephen O’Reilly (Mobile RoadieTopspin Media) talk the talk about apps for musicians

There may be one or two more additions to the Banter programme before we kick off.

Banter at CultureTECH will take place on Thursday September 12 (Legenderry Warehouse, Guildhall Square, 3-6pm), Friday September 13 (Nerve Centre, Magazine St., 3-6pm) and Saturday September 14 (a pop-up event somewhere on the Derry City Walls, 3-5pm). Admission to all Banter events at CultureTECH will be free, but room capacity is limited so you should get there in plenty of time. Hopefully, we’ll see some of you in Derry.

Radio Ireland: the state of the talk radio nation (058, Sep 2013)

It’s Sunday September 1, the day before Pat Kenny and Sean O’Rourke take to the airwaves to do battle for mid-morning radio listeners in Ireland. As we’ve seen from the shenanigans around Kenny’s transfer (unlike Real Madrid at the time of writing with Gareth Bale, Denis O’Brien got his man) and RTE’s robust response with O’Rourke, talk radio is big news and big business in Ireland.

E8Wi2yHh_fiC0J6Sec1pyYXXXL4j3HpexhjNOf_P3YmryPKwJ94QGRtDb3Sbc6KY

Given that both presenters are unavailable to talk to us on the day of this Banter – both will be at home making their sandwiches and preparing their opening lines when we take to the stage – we’ve gathered a panel of other interested parties to look at the state of the Irish talk radio nation and the national obsession with people talking about stuff on the wireless. Who’s going to win this much touted match-up? Where’s local radio in all of this? And why do Irish people love talk radio so much?

The radioheads: Miriam O’Callaghan (RTE Radio One), Caroline Clarke (producer of the Moncrieff show on Newstalk) John Purcell (chairman of Independent Broadcasters of Ireland, CEO KCLR 96FM and director of Newstalk) and Yvonne Judge (broadcaster,  radio producer with RTE Radio One and 2fm and former editor and deputy head of 2fm). Banter’s Joe Duffy: myself

Radio Ireland takes place on the Leviathan stage at Mindfield at the Electric Picnic on Sunday September 1 at 5.30pm.

Big thanks to Mindfield big kahoona Naoise Nunn for the invite.

Banter in September: we’ll be heading to the CultureTECH festival in Derry and launching our Living for the City autumn/winter season at the Twisted Pepper.