Banter at Come Home For Your Tea (061, Oct 2013)

A few months ago on the hottest day of the year, Banter took up situ on the back of a truck in a Cork town square for a day of primetime yakking and premier league music during the Kinsale Arts Festival. We were happy, the participants were happy, the audience were happy and the festival were happy so we’ve decided to do it again, albeit not in the town square on the back of a truck.

Come Home For Your Tea is a two-day event happening on Saturday and Sunday October 12 and 13 in Kinsale featuring a bunch of Banter talks (incuding a day out in the Charles Fort, the spectacular William Robinson-designed late 17th century military installation), Kinsale’s 37th Gourmet Festival and open-days in the town’s many galleries. Here’s the Banter agenda for the weekend:

What’s On Your Plate? (Saturday, Black Pig Wine Bar & Cafe, 2pm)

From celebrity cheffing and annual cookbooks to restaurant hype and bluster, the simple act of eating well has become embued with all manner of connotations and associations. But in a time when many families struggle to feed themselves and food poverty is a real issue, is it time for a back to basics movement? With Darina Allen (Ballymaloe Cookery School), Caroline Hennessy (Bibliocook) and Gerry Godley (Hot Potatoes)

#Next- What Comes After Social Media? (Saturday, The Folk House, 3.30pm)

Facebook and Twitter have been in the dock all year long and as we’ve seen with every technological innovation from MySpace to Bebo, nothing lasts forever. What comes after social media? What will replace our constant tweeting and updates? What will Web 4.0 look like? With Damien Mulley (Mulley Communications) and Una Mullally (Irish Times)

A Special Relationship (Saturday, The Tap Tavern, 5pm)

A discussion on the how and why of us and them and the relationship between this little island and the big island to the right of us with Patrick Guinness (historian and author) and Manchán Magan (writer and documentary-maker)

Other Voices (Sunday, Charles Fort, noon)

A conversation with broadcaster Philip King, the Dingle-based Corkman about the art and the business of putting music on screen from the most westerly and wildest point in Europe.

Fáilte – the Irish hospitality industry (Sunday, Charles Fort, 1.30pm)

If we as a nation want to put our best face out and are promoting The Gathering as a come-home-to-Ireland initiative, how do we make sure our hospitality industry also comes up to the mark? A discussion featuring Tim Magee (Host & Company PR) and Ciaran Fitzgerald (owner of the Blue Haven Collection)

Colm Mac Con Iomaire (Sunday, Charles Fort, 3pm)

A member of The Frames since day one and the violinist with The Swell Season touring band, Colm will be talking about his life in music. He will also be playing some tunes for us so expect to hear some magic from his debut solo album “The Hare’s Corner”.

Admission to all Banter events is free of charge.

Living for the City: On Your Bike (060, Sep 2013)

As the nights draw in and you reach for a heavier jacket as you head out the door, Banter returns to the Twisted Pepper for the autumn/winter season.

We’ve decided to do something a little different this year and have a season of Banters planned for the coming months called Living for the City. What we hope to do is take a look at various issues around living, working and playing in the capital city in the 21st century. Some, of course, will be obvious and some of them won’t be some obvious, but it’s a set of topics we hope will set off a few conversations in the coming months, especially ahead of next year’s local elections.

Our first one is On Your Bike and it will look at how the most user-friendly transport system for this city is probably one which involves two wheels. But despite the huge take-up of the Dublin Bikes scheme and the increased number of cyclists on the streets (streets, as opposed to footpaths) thanks to the Cycle to Work scheme and other iniviatives, cycling continues to be seen as a minority interest. As if that wasn’t bad enough, cyclists have to contend with bike thieves, over-zealous policing, the bike lanes to nowhere and getting called “the spawn of the devil”. Are cyclists really the villains some paint them to be or are we overlooking what pedal power can do for transforming the city?

BSYtyXUCYAAeKRC

Cyclists waiting for the green light on Dame Street in 1960. Photo by Old Dublin Town

Our panel on two wheels: Damien Ó Tuama (National Cycling Coordinator for Cyclist.ie), Anne Bedos (Rothar) and Rebecca Moynihan (Dublin City Councillor).

On Your Bike will take place at the Twisted Pepper (Middle Abbey St., Dublin 1) on Wednesday September 25. Doors open at 7.30pm, the cycling gets underway at 8pm and the discussion will be followed by an audience Q&A. Admission is free and the sign-up form for the night is here.