A conversation with Neil Strauss (120, Oct 2015)

A decade on from The Game, writer Neil Strauss is back in the writing-about-the-other-sex business, but much has changed in the meantime. His new book The Truth: An Uncomfortable Book About Relationships is about what happens when a dude who’s all for freedom, sex and opportunity meets a woman he’s prepared to have a long-term life with.

Neil-Strauss

The Truth is about faithfulness, monogamy, sex addiction clinics, harems, alternative relationships and his own mother and family. It’s a case of goodbye Styles, hello the truth

The Truth: An Uncomfortable Book About Relationships is published by Canongate on October 13

Banter conversation with Neil Strauss takes place at MVP (Clanbrassil St., Dublin 8.) on Tuesday October 27. Doors open at 6pm, the conversation begins at 6.30pm and tickets can be booked here.

A conversation with Jessica Hopper (118, Oct 2015)

Jessica Hopper is coming to town for Hard Working Class Heroes 2015. The Chicago-based music and culture writer is a senior editor at Pitchfork and editor-in-chief of The Pitchfork Review.

jessica-hopper-feature

Her latest book, The First Collection of Criticism by a Living Female Rock Critic(Featerproof Books), presents a snapshot of her 20 years to date in the critic business with ace pieces on R Kelly, Lana Del Rey and Hole, ruminations on the visceral excitement of riot grrrl and a poke around the emo movement’s problem with women. In our book, she really is one of the finest writers in the game – and she’s also got a hell of a lot of powerful, passionate good sense to make about sexism in the music business, as this recent hugely acclaimed keynote from the BIGSOUND conference in Brisbane shows.

Aside from her appearance on a panel about music journalism at HWCH Convention on Saturday October 3, Jessica will also be taking part in an one-on-one Banterconversation with myself, as well as reading from her recent book, at the HWCH Box office, Green Party Pop Up Shop, 90 South Great Georges St., Dublin 2 on Sunday October 4. I don’t know about Jessica, but it will definitely be the first interview I’ve done in a former dry cleaners and launderette. Doors for this all-ages event open at 5.30pm and the interview kicks off at 6pm. Admission is free, but is on a strictly first come first served basis.

A journey through Dublin’s gay clubland (117, Oct 2015)

Over the last couple of years at Banter, we’ve returned again and again to a few different themes. One of these regular threads has to do with the past, present and future of Dublin club culture and we’ve had a couple of lively nights out already as we’ve discussed and disected this one.

To co-incide with a screening of the Paris Is Burning documentary next month, we’ll be talking to a couple of scene observers about the changing nature of Dublin’s gay clubland over the last couple of decades and what might come next. Tonie WalshWill St LegerConor Behan and Mimi Rouge will join us for a journey from Flikkers, Sides and Shaft to PowerbubbleHorny Organ TribeGag and Ham and onto Mother and The George with a few diversions along the way.

Apart from the Banter discussion and the screening, there will also be a 1970s and 1980s New York City themed party afterwards with Billy ScurryKelly-Anne ByrneLouis ScullyGreg & Russell and friends spunning the lushest disco records all night long. Brought to you by Discotekken and This Greedy Pig, it’s a night for those who dig disco, drag, fashion, house music, nightlife history, equality, film and design.

Details: the Paris Is Burning/Banter/NYC Disco Party takes place at the Sugar Club on Saturday October 3 from 8pm. Tickets are available here for €12. A special, handmade letterpress Paris Is Burning print will be given to the first 100 people on the night and €1 from every ticket sold will be donated to BelongTo