Event Talks: the science of events (137, June 2016)

Did you know that the colour pink can have a soothing effect on the people who go to your events, that blue has been shown to be calming and red can help make a crowd go wild? Or that it takes about 600 tweets to trend in Ireland?

CKNAQ

As part of the ongoing Event Talks series, Banter and Eventbrite be looking at how science can help organisers to put on their events. Expect such issues as event design, the psychology of networking and bonding, the use of behavourial economics to make events zing, the science behind online engagement at an event and how emotional marketing contributes to an event experience to come up on the night.

The science of events panel: Dr. Shaun O’Boyle (research co-ordinator at Science Gallery and co-founder of Dublin Maker and Maurice & Shaun), Amanda Webb (Spider Working) and Dr Kenneth McKenzie (Strategic Planning Director with Target McConnells)

The small print: Event Talks on the science of events will take place at Science Gallery, Dublin 2 on Wednesday June 29. Doors open at 6pm and the event commences at 6.30pm. Admission is free and tickets can be booked here (this event is now sold out).

This is the second in the Event Talks series of event-related talks and conversations from Banter and Eventbrite to be held in the city over the coming months.

Punk rock wine (136, June 2016)

Is it time for wine to have a revolution? Over the last number of years, we’ve seen seismic changes and disruptions in the drinks world with craft beers, artisan cocktails, new-school whiskey distilleries and the gin revival. Wine may well be next.

Indeed, that revolution is already underway with the growth in availability and popularity of natural wines, as wine-makers seek to promote DIY practices, preach the importance of terroir and pitch the economics of smaller batches. We may even see the revolution extend to how wine is perceived with some of the more snobbish tendencies which tend to put off newcomers put to one side and downplayed in favour of people enjoying a great drink instead.

four-horsemen-natural-wine-crdt-damien-lafargue

Joining us at Banter to discuss what’s next for wine and the wine business are Eric Narioo (founder Les Caves de Pyrene), Pascal Rossignol (owner, Le Caveau Wine Merchants), Julie Dupouy (sommelier, third place Association de la Sommellerie Internationale world championships), John Wilson (The Irish Times) and Shane Murphy (La Rousse Wines). There will also be a sampling of natural wines on the night

Label information: Banter on punk rock wines takes place at Wigwam (Middle Abbey St., Dublin 1) on Wednesday June 8. Doors open at 6pm, the event begins at 6.30pm and tickets can be booked here.

Banter at Bloom 2016 (135, June 2016)

This whole Banter shebang has taken me to some fascinating spots over the last six or seven years and last year’s run of talks, interviews and discussions at the Bloom festival in Dublin’s Phoenix Park was easily one of the highlights to date. It’s a huge family-friendly festival, pulling in around 100,000 people over the course of the June bank holiday weekend, and they’re there for a bit of everything, from show gardens and flower exhibitions to trade shows and what-have-you. Banter, it’s safe to say, is firmly in the what-have-you category.

CjeUvfsXIAERL57

Here’s the full rundown of who we’ll we talking to at Bloom this year and what we’ll be talking about – as you can see, it runs the waterfront from food, farming, gardens and wildlife to social issues, technology, health, history and retail. You’ll find the Banter tent located in the middle of Food Village at the festival (it’s number 27 on this map).

THURSDAY JUNE 02

11am – The weatherman

Head of Forecasting at Met Eireann Gerald Fleming on weather patterns from storms to sunshine

Noon – The A to Z of community shops

The story of how to set up and run a community shop and café as told by Mary Fogarty and Maeve O’Hair from The Cottage, Loughmore, Co Tipperary

1.30pm – Bloom Fringe

Bloom is about more than just about what’s happening in the Phoenix Park. Marion Keogh and Róisín de Buitléar talk about Bloom Fringe and its workshops, talks, installations, pop-ups, art and demos on the streets of the capital.

2.30pm – Big Week On the Farm

In April, 1.5 million people tuned into RTE’s Big Week On the Farm show. We talk to John Fagan, the man whose Co Westmeath farm became the all-action site for the show, about what was involved.

3.30pm – Operation Transformation

Dr Eddie Murphy from the hugely popular TV series Operation Transformation talks health and fitness

4.30pm – Inside the Farmers Journal

Farmers Journal editor Justin McCarthy joins us at Banter to talk about his work at the paper and how to keep its readers happy in a challenging and changing world.

FRIDAY JUNE 03

Noon – Meet the food buyers

How do food stores decide which artisan or new producers they’ll stock? We’ve brought together a number of food buyers from major outlets – Aoife Ryan from Retail In Motion, Diarmuid Murphy and James Watson from Dunnes Stores and Derek Murphy from Topaz – to talk about what they look for when they decide to put a new product on their shelves or menus.

1.30pm – The Ploughing

The biggest event to be held in Ireland every year, the National Ploughing Championships is an annual highlight for many. We hear from organiser Anna Marie McHugh about what’s required to keep 281,000 people happy and what’s in store for 2016

2.30pm – Chef profile: Mark Moriarty

Over the last few years, young Dublin chef Mark Moriarty has been picking up awards left, right and centre. He talks to us at Banter about what’s involved in staying at the top of the game

3.30pm – Meet the Commish

Niamh Bushnell is the first ever Dublin Commissioner for Startups. We’ll hear about her role and why Dublin and Ireland are proving to be a healthy breeding ground for new technology companies of all kinds.

4.30pm – What’s next for the food service sector?

When it comes to eating out, Irish diners are big fans of fast food, fast casual and healthy and fresh outlets. Bord Bia’s Maureen Gahan talks about the trends to watch when it comes to cafes and restaurants in Ireland

SATURDAY JUNE 04

11am – Farming 1916

There has been a lot of talk this year about 1916, but what was happening on the Irish farm back then? Dr Arlene Crampsie from UCD’s School of Geography talks about the state of the land 100 years ago and the difficulties and challenges which Irish farmers faced

Noon – Mindfulness for gardening

We’re delighted to be joined by Banter at Bloom favourite Fiann Ó Nualláin. This time around, the garden designer, author and broadcaster talks about the role mindfulness and meditation has played in his new garden The Tao Of Now

1.30pm – the Café Rua story

Up to a decade ago, Aran McMahon was best known as a brilliant DJ and club promoter. These days, he’s running things at the award-winning Café Rua in Castlebar. He talks about what was involved in the career swap and the lessons he’s learned about running an Irish food business

2.30pm – Chef profile: The Happy Pear

They’re back! David and Stephen Flynn from The Happy Pear return to the Banter at Bloom tent to talk about their new book The World of the Happy Pear and their mission when it comes to food.

3.45pm – Decoding the ingredients

We hear and see a lot of information about healthy eating, good food and nutrition, but do we really know what all of this information actually means? Eatwell dietician Sarah Keogh helps us to decipher what’s on the back of packet

4.30pm – The Hurley Maker’s Son

You won’t read a better memoir all year than Patrick Deeley’s account of growing up on a farm in east Galway where his father was a skilled carpenter and the hurley maker of the title. We’ll talk to the author about what went into the book and how he swapped the sawmills for the schoolroom and a career as a teacher.

SUNDAY JUNE 05

11am – A garden for Syria

Award-winning designer Brian Burke talks about War & Peace, his garden for GOALwhich will be showing at Bloom 2016 and has been inspired by the Syrian conflict.

Noon – A meeting with a Dragon

Folks will know Alison Cowzer as one of the people running the rule over pitches on Dragons’ Den. We talk to Alison about her own work in the food sector and some of the investments she wishes she had made in her career.

1.30pm – Chef profile: Catherine Fulvio

The cook from Ballyknocken House & Cookery School in Co Wicklow Catherine Fulvioon the ins and outs of keeping an Irish food enterprise on the road

2.30pm – Ear to the Ground

Ear to the Ground is the go-to TV show for anyone interested in rural and farming affairs. The show’s presenter Darragh McCullough, who is also deputy editor of the Irish Independent’s Farming supplement and runs a mixed farm in Co Meath, talks about what goes into the show and how it covers its beat.

3.30pm – What Are You Eating?

Rashers, sausages, dairy products, pork chops, bread, fruit and veg: these were just some of the food stuffs which presenter Philip Boucher-Hayes and producer Suzanne Campbell investigated for their RTE series What Are You Eating? earlier this year. They tell us about what we’re really eating – and if we really want to know.

4.30pm – Tech on the farm

New technology is helping Irish farmers get the job done quicker and better than ever before. We hear from Steve Lock from Grassometer and John Larkin from Moocallabout their products, the reaction from the farming community and their plans for the future.

MONDAY JUNE 06

11am – Saving the bees

One third of Ireland’s bee species are threatened with extinction because we have reduced where they can nest and the amount of food our landscape provides for them. Erin Tiedeken from the All-Ireland Pollinator Plan talks about the efforts being made to ensure bees can survive and thrive.

Noon – Fiann’s Clinic

Do you know what your garden can provide in terms of beauty treatments, natural cures and first aid? Meet the natural doctor, Fiann Ó Nualláin

2.30pm – Peter McVerry

Peter McVerry has been working with the young homeless of this city for more than 30 years. He joins us to talk about his work and what he makes of the government plans and actions to help those in need.

3.30pm – The coffee break

In 2008, Colin Harmon decided he was going to give up his career in investment funds and dedicate himself to coffee. His move from high finance to caffeine has been a good one and he’s at Bloom to tell the story of 3FE, his award-winning coffee and café business

4.30pm – Social farming

Social farming is the growing practice of offering activity on family farms as a form of social support for people to improve their health, well-being and self-esteem. Co Cavan farmer and gardener Barry Kavanagh is one of those involved in social farming and he tells us about what’s involved.

Tickets for Bloom 2016 are on sale here.

Event Talks: Festival trends (134, May 2016)

You don’t need us to tell you that the festival season is about to get in full swing. Every single promoter who’s booked a field or a tent for some upcoming shindig will be hoping that (a) people buy tickets and (b) the weather will be grand.

summer-music-ftr

Festivals, though, are changing, evolving and growing. Across Ireland, more and more people are coming together to celebrate unique sounds, interests, and passions – from underground hip-hop to health and wellness to multi-day outdoor festivals – thanks to the huge array of well targeted, niche events.

There’s no such thing anymore as one-size-fits-all in the festival sector. Organisers and promoters are finding new ways to tailor packages and offer exclusive passes that cater to their audience’s growing appetite for customisation and greater choice. Some organisers are even adding new categories to their events (think beer tastings and art exhibits at a music festival), to excite more people and boost attendance.

Technology is also reshaping the industry. Advances in data analytics and wireless technology vastly improve how festivals are planned and managed. Social networks have helped event marketing and promotions, as fans build communities of like-minded friends and share their excitement (and sometimes disappointments). All of these trends are driving significant growth in festivals and events around Ireland, and it’s not going to slow down anytime soon.

Banter has joined forces with Eventbrite to bring together some interested parties to look at the area of trends when it comes to festivals and events. Join Hugh Scully (festival director at Interlude, owner Coppa &amp and RFID and event technology representative) and Johnny Boyle (Strategic Director at Modern Green) at the Wood Quay Venue (Dublin City Council, Fishamble St, Dublin 2) on Tuesday May 31. Doors open at 6pm and the Bantering begins at 6.30pm. Admission is free and tickets can be booked here.

This is the first in the Event Talks series from Banter and Eventbrite which we’ll be rolling out over the next few months.