Banter at Bloom 2017 (166, June 2017)

We’re very happy to be returing to Bloom, the biggest festival in Ireland, which rakes place in Dublin’s Phoenix Park next weekend. Bloom kicks off on Thursday and Banter will be in situ in our tent in the Food Village on Saturday, Sunday and Monday with a clatter of colourful and fascinating characters for you to meet. Here’s the line-up.

SATURDAY JUNE 03

11am – Nutrionist in the house

Daniel Davey is a performance nutrionist with the Dublin senior footballers and Leinster rugby players, a presenter of TV3’s Doctor In the House and co-founder of online nutrition site FoodFlicker. At Banter, Daniel talks about the role of nutrition on health and well-being and lessons to be learned from the fields of play.

1408978565-Daniel-Davey_1320_700_70shar-20_s_c1_c_c_0_0

Noon – How do you become the tidiest town in Ireland?

In 2016, Skerries won the award for tidiest town in the country. Maeve McGann and Anne Doyle from the Skerries Tidy Towns Committee tell us about the work, challenges and triumphs which go into running a successful tidy towns’ campaign.

image

1.30pm – Questions and answers with the Bloom gardeners

Do you have a query for the Bloom show gardeners? Here’s your chance to ask them as Maeve O’Neill and Alan Rudden join us to answer your questions.

2.30pm – And now the weather…

The ins and outs of the weather business and its impact on the national mood with Head of Forecasting at Met Eireann Gerald Fleming and presenter Karina Buckley.

3.30pm – The humans of Bloom

There are thousands and thousands of people at Bloom and is one of them. We get the lowdown on life and everything else from Irish Country Living editor Mairead Lavery

4.30pm – Meet the boss

Bloom would not exist with Bord Bia. The new head of the state agency promoting Irish food, drink and horticulture is Tara McCarthy and she joins us to talk about her job.

SUNDAY JUNE 04

11am – Food on the edge

Besides running such great Galway restaurants as Aniar and Cava, JP McMahon is also behind the annual boutique food gathering Food On the Edge. He’ll be at Banter to discuss his life, career, restuarants and the growth of Food On the Edge.

Food-on-the-Edge

Noon – The Irish astronaut

Niamh Shaw is an Irish scientist, engineer, performer and artist who also plans to get into space in the next few years. She joins us at Bloom to talk about work around creating interest in science, the need for more youngsters to take up STEM subjects and her very own space program.

image-2

1.30pm – Questions and answers with the Bloom gardeners

Do you have a query for the Bloom show gardeners? Here’s your chance to ask them as Brian Burke joins us to answer your questions.

2.30pm – Draw With Don

Don Conroy is the man who taught the children of Ireland how to draw owls when he was the resident artist on The Den. We hear about his life before and after the Den – and there may be even a drawing lesson

don-with-barn-owl

3.30pm – My Lovely Horse Rescue

Cathy Davey may be best known as the singer-songwriter behind a string of hits and albums, but she’s here to talk about My Lovely Horse Rescue. Since 2012, Cathy’s charity has helped to recue, retrain and rehome unwanted, abandoned or surrendered horses, donkeys and ponies in Ireland.

SN CATHY DAVEY Read-Only

4.30pm – Cats vs dogs

Why do people love their cats and dogs so much? We’re joined by Roz Evans from Phibsboro Cat Rescue and Catriona Birt from Dogs Trust to talk about their four legged friends

MONDAY JUNE 5

11am – Gardening for good

More than 50,000 people in Ireland are living with dementia and Elaine Keane, Director of Clinical Services at TLC Nursing Homes, and Sinead Grennan, CEO of Sonas apc, talk about how creating a garden which would be a peaceful space for them and their families resulted in the Bloom Dementia Friendly Garden.

Noon – Anyone for spuds?

Ireland has had a long and illustrious history with the humble potato. Restaurant critic and food writer Catherine Cleary talks us through our relationship with the tuber.

image-3

1.30pm – Questions and answers with the Bloom gardeners

Do you have a query for the Bloom show gardeners? Here’s your chance to ask them as Niall Maxwell and Tünde Szentesi join us to answer your questions.

2.30pm – Cavanman of the Year: Neven Maguire

We are very happy to welcome back one of the most popular visitors ever to the Banter stage at Bloom. Neven Maguire joins us with more warm tales and sage advice from Blacklion and beyond.

nmaguire

3.30pm – What are you eating?

Aoife Hearne is the dietician on Operation Transformation. She joins with her advice on eating well without resorting to fad diets – and some insights into why the TV show still pulls in a huge audience.

AoifeHearneJan2014_large

4.30pm – A guide to gins

We bring together some of the premium gin makers showing their wares at Bloom 2017 to tell us just why the drink is enjoying such a buzz at present. Our ginfluencers: Peter Mulryan (Blackwater Distillery), James McKenna (Listoke Gin) and Keith Malone (Mor Gin).

Tickets for Bloom are available here.

The wrap’s brother knows Karl Marx

A list of things for your reading, watching and listening pleasure. Updated every week.

(1) The old dogs for the hard road. The arrival of a new Coldcut album “Outside the Echo Chamber” is a reason to be cheerful, with Matt Black and Jon More joining forces with On-U Sound sonic professor Adrian Sherwood for a thrilling dub odyssey. There are a crew of guests like Roots Manuva, Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry, Junior Reid, Ce’Cile and Chezidek onboard to ensure heavyweight stylings, while the presence of On-U Sound veterans Skip McDonald and Doug Wimbish highlight the project’s bass throughline. A joy.

(2) Are you one of those people who always – always – picks the wrong queue in the shop or supermarket? Here’s what a mathematician has to say about the right queue.

(3) If you only watch one documentary this week about a bodybuilding, well-dressed political operative with a Richard Nixon tattoo, it’s likely to be Get Me Roger Stone. Get the skinny on the dirty tricks dandy here and then dive in.

(4) One of our favourite past Banter guests is 3FE dude Colin Harmon. He’s got a new book out at the moment called What I Know About Running Coffee Shops and it is, as you’d expect, what Colin knows about running coffee shops. He joined us at Banter at Bloom 2016 to talk about why he gave up a career in investment funds to dedicate himself to coffee.

(5) It’s not just Dublin which is going through property hell at the moment. Anna Minton reports on London’s property squeeze which is causing affordable housing to be replaced by luxury apartment towers and, like Dublin, pricing people out of the city.

(6) Reading recommendation of the week: Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011, Lizzy Goodman’s fantastic oral history of the Big Apple’s musical rebirth in the early years of the 2000s.

Is there life beyond Van? (167, June 2017)

We are delighted to bring Banter to Belfast in June for the start of a monthly residency at the Baltic bar at the impressive Bullit hotel in the heart of the city.

For Banter’s first outing at Bullitt, we’re looking at the sound of the city and asking just what is the current state of Belfast’s musical nation. Many people may still associate the city with past glories like Van Morrison, Good Vibrations and SugarSweet, but the city’s musical machinations move to a much different beat in 2017 as seen by the excellent AVA festival which takes place in early June.

Banter host and producer Jim Carroll will be joined by Sarah McBriar (director and creative producer of the AVA Festival), Jonny Carberry (resident DJ and music creator at Bullit) and Stuart Bailie (music journalist and co-presenter of Across the Line) to discuss what the future sound of Belfast will be, should be and could be.

The first Banter at Baltic at Bullitt Belfast takes places on Wednesday June 7 at 6.30pm. Admission is £5 and tickets can be booked by emailing events@bullithotel.com

The wrap is not talking about hurling today

A list of things for your reading, watching and listening pleasure. Updated every week.

(1) If you were one of those who thrilled to Jlin’s superb 2015 debut album “Dark Energy”, you’ll want to be all over her new one “Black Origami”. One of the albums of the season – a fine piece by Hua Hsa on artist and record here

(2) Fashion department: from Asos to Boohoo, inside the world of fast fashion. Not included in sale: a day in the life of Stephanie Shepherd, Kim Kardashian’s wingwoman

(3) It’s Monday which means back to work for the majority of the population, but here’s some pushback on the idea of cool open spaces: why cool offices don’t always make for a happier workforce and inside the offices where everyone is a DJ. On the other hand, you could be looking with envy at the new Apple campus. Meanwhile, for anyone hunkering to quit the office, here’s a great long read on the present and future of the gig economy.

(4) You’ll find my radio essay on the history of the Rough Trade record label for RTE Radio One’s Arena here. That includes a mention for The Strokes and there’s an excellent oral history of the band here.

(5) Is there a doctor in the house? Five medical procedures that are no longer performed

(6) Speaking of oral histories, a superb piece of work on the Game Day episode from the first series of The Wire.

Banter Shorts & Virgin Media (163, May 2017)

As part of their Full Stream initiative, Virgin Media will be screening three top class cult films from their catalogue at Smock Alley Theatre, Dublin on Saturday May 13.

https---cdn.evbuc.com-images-30789993-201564546821-1-original.jpg

It’s a chance for folks to experience Back to the Future, The Big Lebowski and Pulp Fiction in luxe surroundings with bold cinematic sound and a custom-built screen and lighting rig

Before each screening, we’ll be hosting a Banter Short coversation about various entertainment related topics

(1) We’re all cults now (before Back to the Future, 1pm)

Believe it or not, there’s now an audience out there for the strangest of shows thanks to out always-on consumption culture. We talk to Valerie Loftus from The Daily Edge about how the weirdest and most off the walls shows now build and develop their fanbases

(2) TV is the new film (before The Big Lebowski, 4.15pm)

The creator of hit show Can’t Cope, Won’t Cope, Stefanie Preissner, and director of programming at TV3, Bill Malone, talk about how the new crop of writers, directors and makers want to work in TV rather than hawk their work to Hollywood

(3) A new world of entertainment awaits (before Pulp Fiction, 7.30pm)

What is coming down the tracks and into your gaff in the next few years? A conversation with TV3 Head of AFP Patrick Kinsella about how new technology, from VR headsets to new ways of packaging entertainment, is going to change your viewing experience

Admission is free but tickets must be booked in advance and are available here

Banter at Litfest 2017 (164, May 2017)

It’s the three in a row for Banter at the Ballymaloe LitFest of Food & Wine. As we did in 2015 and 2016, we take up position in the garden tent at Ballymaloe on May 20 and 21 and bring along some colourful characters and interesting folks for you to meet.
IMG_2123

 What’s on the Chef’s Table? (noon, Saturday May 20)

Brian McGinn, the director and executive producer of the Emmy-nominated and award-winning Netflix show Chef’s Table, on how to produce a food show for the ages.

Food for good (noon, Sunday May 21)

Michelle Darmody and Ellie Kisyombe from Our Table’s guide to how a food business can make real social and economic change.

Our friend from Lithuania (3pm, Sunday May 21)

A conversation with Lithuania’s European Commissioner Vytenis Andriukaitis about Europe, Lithuania, heart surgery, the post-Soviet age, food, Brexit, the future and why Nigel Farage is a numptie.