Banter at Other Voices (182, Dec 2017)

It’s that time of the year again. As we’ve down annually since 2012, Banter heads to the Kingdom for Other Voices and takes over the back-room of Foxy John’s in downtown Dingle for the weekend where we are joined by a fine cast of talkers, makers, do-ers and players for some conversations and music by the fire. We’ll be open for business next Saturday and Sunday, December 2 and 3, from 2pm to 6pm and admission is free. Please note that capacity is limited so get there early if you want a seat or standing room.

OV-Dingle2017–banter-02-Feed

Enda Walsh

We’ve been trying to bring Enda to Dingle since we started this odyssey and, joy of joys, he’s finally not got stuff to do in Luxembourg, Hong Kong, London or New York. The playwright talks shop, collaborations and stagecraft.

Geoff Travis & Jeannette Lee

A total honour to welcome the pair behind the legendary Rough Trade Records to Dingle.

John Mulholland

A welcome return to Banter for The Observer editor, John has spent much of 2017 as Acting Editor of The Guardian US so he’s ideally placed to let us know what the hell is actually happening across the Atlantic right now with yer man Trump.

Emer Reynolds

The woman behind The Farthest, one of our favourite film experiences of 2017, discusses space, film-making and dark skies in Co Tipperary.

Luke O’Neill

A deep dive with the chair of biochemistry at Trinity College Dublin and one of the world’s leading immunologists in what the world of science is doing for us all.

Sarah McBriar

The founder of the AVA electronic music festival in Belfast, one of the best new European events in recent times, tells us her story.

Una Mullally’s Arts Review of the Year

What it says on the can: the year in film, theatre, music, books, TV and whatever else comes to mind as narrated by Banter’s most popular repeat visitor. Unmissable. She’d better big up The Florida Project….

Caitlín Nic Gabhann & Ciarán Ó Maonaigh

What’s the state of traditional music in 2017? Concertina player Caitlín and fiddler Ciarán join us in Foxy’s to go through this and other topics, plus some tunes from the duo

There will also be music over the weekend from Maria Kelly, Roe and Josienne Clarke & Ben Walker

Massive thanks to my Banter OV co-consipirator Molly King (this is a CarrollKing Production), Banter producer Jack Gibson, Banter at Foxy John’s Head Of Design Mary Ni Lochlainn, the good folks at Other Voices, our patient and savvy soundman Stephen Andreucetti and the people at Foxy John’s for putting up with us and our antics for six years in a row,

Review of the Year (183, Dec 2017)

It’s nearly time to say goodbye to 2017 but, before we go, how about a recap on a year of Hurricane Ophelia, the Paradise Papers, Harvey Weinstein, Leo Varadkar, more tracker mortgage scandals, more Garda scandals, more Brexit, the National Maternity Hospital mess, the Citizen’s Assembly, Leo Varadkar’s socks, Donal Trump in the White House, the Russians in the White House, Ireland not qualifying for the World Cup in Russia, Leo Varadkar’s tweets and Ireland not getting to host the Rugby World Cup in 2023? And trust us, there’s more – much more.

2017

As we’ve done in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, Banter will be bringing together a panel of news makers and news observers to talk about the stories of the last 12 months which have resonated with them.

The now annual Banter Review of the Year is always one of the highlights of our year, chiefly because it’s a night which reminds us of stuff that happened which we’d forgotten all about and casts new light on some of the stories which dominated the news cycle for so long.

The panel: Oonagh Murphy (theatre director, Tribes at The Gate), Catherine Sanz (reporter at The Times Ireland Edition) and Gavin Sheridan (CEO Vizlegal and former Innovation Director at Storyful)

The details: Banter’s Review of the Year takes place at The Liquor Rooms, Wellington Quay, Dublin 2 on Wednesday December 6. Doors open at 6pm and we start at 6.30pm. Tickets are available here and all proceeds from the event go to the Peter McVerry Trust.

Social housing: can it save us? (185, Dec 2017)

What’s the solution to the affordable housing shortage in Dublin? What role should social housing play in solving this crisis?

https---cdn.evbuc.com-images-37644687-91999651917-1-original

At this event organised by Banter and Dublin Inquirer, a panel of experts will discuss the history and role of social housing in Ireland, the Part V provision, how these fare in 2017, what their roles are in the current crisis, and where could we go from here.

The panel: Debbie Mulhall (Community Development Worker in Dolphin House), Michelle Norris (Head of the School of the School of Social Policy, Social Work and Social Justice at UCD), Ali Grehan (City Architect, Dublin City Council) and Hugh Brennan (CEO, Ó Cualann Cohousing Alliance)

The details: the event will be held at the Robert Emmet Community Development Project, (3-8 Usher Street, Dublin 8) on Wednesday December 13 at 6.30pm. Admission is free, but tickets must be booked in advance here.

Early bird tickets were available exclusively for Dublin Inquirer subscribers – you can subscribe and support the best publication about living and working in the capital here.

How to beat imposter syndrome in the workplace (181, Nov 2017)

Ever have that lingering sense that you’re not cut out for something? Or that pit-of-the-stomach feeling when you suspect you’re going to be caught out as less able than you are, even when you know you’re more than capable of the task at hand? You might have imposter syndrome.
DC7E6881-09CB-450B-973DE646A7FF6D2C_source
2017 was the year that imposter syndrome made it into the Oxford English Dictionary, but it’s an experience which has been affecting people across many different industries and continents for some time. While the feeling of being inadequate in the workplace and the fear of being exposed for having the right skills is something which unites genders and generations, it’s something which is particularly pronounced with millennials.

Join Nathalie Marquez Courtney, Aoife McElwainDean Van Nguyen and Dr Sandra McNulty as they talk to Banter guest host Aoife Barry about what imposter syndrome is, and isn’t: whether we need to pay any heed to it, how gender and race could determine how badly imposter syndrome might affect us, and how we can start to give those feelings of inferiority the old heave-ho.

Banter on how to beat imposter syndrome in the workplace takes place at The Liquour Rooms, Wellington Quay, Dublin 2 on Wednesday November 29. Doors open at 6pm and the discussion starts at 6.30pm. Tickets can be obtained here and all proceeds from the event go to Rape Crisis Network Ireland.