Banter at Other Voices (210, Nov 2019)

If it’s the first weekend in December (ish), it means Banter heads to the most southwesterly edge of the country (ish) to hang with the good folks at Other Voice. As has been the case in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, this has always been one of the highlights of our year. We’d like to say GRMA to the good people at Foxy’s and all at Other Voices for putting with us over the last few years.

The formula is simple: we take over the back-room of Foxy John’s in downtown Dingle for the weekend, we light the fire and we’re joined by a cast of talkers, makers, activists, do-ers and players for some conversations and music.

Sinead O’Carroll

Sinead is the editor of The Journal and a regular contributor, pundit and presenter on various TV and radio shows.

Paul Geaney

Paul has been a member of the Kerry senior inter-county football team since 2011 and plays for Dingle. With the county, he has won All-Ireland, Munster and National Football League titles and has two All-Star awards

Caelainn Hogan

Caelainn is a journalist and writer who has reported across Europe, the Middle East and Africa for National Geographic, New York Times Magazine, Harper’s, The New Yorker (online), VICE Magazine, The Guardian, Al Jazeera, The Irish Times and The Dublin Review. She is the author of the recently published Republic Of Shame: Stories from Ireland’s Institutions for ‘Fallen Women’

Jennifer Cassidy

Jennifer is a Departmental Lecturer in Global Governance and Diplomacy at the University of Oxford. She was previously diplomatic attaché for the Department of Foreign Affairs at the United Nations in New York and the European External Action Service to the Kingdom of Cambodia.

Saoirse McHugh

Saoirse was the Green Party’s candidate in the 2019 European elections in the Midlands Northwest constituency. The Achill Islander will stand for the party in Mayo in the next general election.

Conor O’Mahony

Conor is a lecturer in the School Of Law and director of the Child Law Clinic at UCC. He has just been appointed Special Rapporteur on Child Protection by the Irish government for a three-year term.

Andrea Horan

Andrea is the founder of Tropical Popical and the co-host of the United Ireland podcast and she’ll be joining us for the annual Banter Other Voices Pop Culture Review of the Year

Susan McKay

Susan is an award-winning journalist, author and broadcaster from Derry. Her books include Bear in Mind These Dead and Northern Protestants: An Unsettled People. She writes for the Irish Times, the Guardian, the London Review of Books, and the New York Times.

We’ll be open for business on Saturday November 30th and Sunday December 1st, things get underway at 2pm on each day and admission is free (the room is small so don’t be late). We’ll announce the list of musicians who’ll be joining us nearer the time.