Living for the City: the gaffs (063, Oct 2013)

After opening our Banter autumn/winter series on life in the capital city in the 21st century with a lively discussion on bikes and transport, our next Living for the City Banter will look at the issue of housing in the capital

Burt Bacharach and Hal David, the men who penned “A House Is Not A Home”, were obviously never going to be looking for work as estate agents in Dublin. When you talk about living in the capital city, the question of gaffs is never far from the surface. After the ridiculous boom years came the inevitable bust and now come signs of a boom again, as anyone seeking to rent or buy a home in the last few years can tell you. It all sounds very familiar – and very worrying. Here we go again. Will we ever learn? And what exactly is there to learn?

image

This Banter panel will poke and prod the issue of housing in Dublin. From changes in the rental market to the increase in price for family homes located in certain prime suburbs to the provision of social housing, is housing always going to be a hot button issue for capital city denizens? Is there a will or a way to import ideas about housing from other urban areas? Or is our desire for a semi-detached gaff with green patches front and back going to always trump everything?

Talking about gaffs: Ronan Lyons (economist at Daft.ie and Trinity College Dublin), Colette Browne (Irish Independent columnist), Karl Deeter (adviser and analyst at Irish Mortgage Brokers and Advisors.ie and Dr Lorcan Sirr (lecturer in housing studies and urban economics at DIT)

Venue, date and times: Twisted Pepper (Middle Abbey St., Dublin 1), Wednesday October 23, doors open at 7.30pm and the Bantering starts at 8pm.

Admission is free, but you need to sign-up first and you’ll find the form here.