Bantercast 134: Fake News

There was a full house at the Smock Alley Theatre in Dublin when we put on this discussion about media in an age of fake news as part of the International Literature Festival Dublin. We were joined by Kevin Donnellan (UK editor, Storyful), Lois Kapila (co-founder and managing editor, Dublin Inquirer), Jane Suiter (School of Communications DCU and Director of the Institute for Future Media and Journalism) and Cathal McMahon (Irish Independent) to discuss misinformation on social platforms, fact-checking practices, the journalistic compromises made in the name of clickbait and the problems which occur when readers want to believe the fake news that they see. It was, as you are about to hear, a hell of a discussion.