Bantercast 134: Fake News

There was a full house at the Smock Alley Theatre in Dublin when we put on this discussion about media in an age of fake news as part of the International Literature Festival Dublin. We were joined by Kevin Donnellan (UK editor, Storyful), Lois Kapila (co-founder and managing editor, Dublin Inquirer), Jane Suiter (School of Communications DCU and Director of the Institute for Future Media and Journalism) and Cathal McMahon (Irish Independent) to discuss misinformation on social platforms, fact-checking practices, the journalistic compromises made in the name of clickbait and the problems which occur when readers want to believe the fake news that they see. It was, as you are about to hear, a hell of a discussion.

Bantercast 133: Neil Rankin

Seeing as we’ll be back at The Big Grill festival later this summer, here’s one from last year’s adventures with the meat eaters and BBQ fiends in Dublin 4. Neil Rankin is the chef, cookbook writer and restaurant dude behind a host of great joints including Smokehouse, Temper, Pitt Cue, Bad Egg and many more. He joined us to talk about his career, from early days as a sound engineer for various bands to his current run celebrated chef and restaurant runner.

Bantercast 132: Online Behaviour

The Journal’s Aoife Barry, writer and podcaster Ellen Tannam, DJ and writer Conor Behan and senior clinical psychologist Mark Smyth joined us at Banter recently for an enthralling conversation about online behaviour. The question for our panel was just why negative comments, offensive remarks and downright nasty and abusive reactions have become the norm in our social media timelines. Our four panelists came up with some great theories and ideas about why this is so – and what can be done to change this state of affairs.

Bantercast 130: Eddie Otchere

Seeing as we’ll be back at The Beatyard festival later this summer, here’s one from last year’s adventures by the sea in Dun Laoghaire. It’s always great to have photographers in the mix at Banter because great snappers always have great tales to tell when they put the camera down. We were joined by storied London hip-hop photographer Eddie Otchere, a man with a who’s who portfolio of hip-hop and urban music culture kingpins and queenpins to his credit and lots to say about his work.