A list of things for your reading, watching and listening pleasure. Updated every week.
(1) If you were one of those who thrilled to Jlin’s superb 2015 debut album “Dark Energy”, you’ll want to be all over her new one “Black Origami”. One of the albums of the season – a fine piece by Hua Hsa on artist and record here
(3) It’s Monday which means back to work for the majority of the population, but here’s some pushback on the idea of cool open spaces: why cool offices don’t always make for a happier workforce and inside the offices where everyone is a DJ. On the other hand, you could be looking with envy at the new Apple campus. Meanwhile, for anyone hunkering to quit the office, here’s a great long read on the present and future of the gig economy.
(4) You’ll find my radio essay on the history of the Rough Trade record label for RTE Radio One’s Arena here. That includes a mention for The Strokes and there’s an excellent oral history of the band here.
(5) Is there a doctor in the house? Five medical procedures that are no longer performed
(6) Speaking of oral histories, a superb piece of work on the Game Day episode from the first series of The Wire.