100 years of #ImmodestWomen (193, June 2018)

It’s 100 years since Irish women first received the right to vote. While the intervening century has seen many other wins and advances across different parts of Irish life, there’s still a lengthy to-do list to be enacted to bring about real equality for women in our society.

As part of the Vótáil 100 series of events to mark a centenary of women’s suffrage and representation in the Houses of the Oireachtas, this special Banter discussion curated by the Irish Research Council will examine where the road goes from here and the challenges which lie ahead.

What are the priorities on that to-do list and why? Are future changes the preserve of parliamentarians or will they come about through sustained people pressure? What can we learn from the experiences of other countries? Indeed, what can we learn from our experiences at the ballot boxes here in 2015 and 2018? And will the day a woman Taoiseach steps up in Dáil Éireann be the day to say the job’s done?

The details: this Banter event will take place at The Liquor Rooms (Wellington Quay, Dublin 2) on Thursday June 28 with Ailbhe Smith (Co-Director of Together For Yes and Convenor of Coalition to Repeal the 8th Amendment), Sarah Robinson (UCC School of Psychology PhD candidate and current Irish Research Council awardee), Alison O’Connor (journalist, columnist and broadcaster), Síona Cahill (incoming president Union Of Students In Ireland) and guests. Doors open at 6pm and the discussion begins at 6.30pm. Tickets are now available here and all proceeds go to Women’s Aid.

About the Irish Research Council: the Council was formed in 2012, is an associated agency of the Department of Education and Skills, and operates under the aegis of the Higher Education Authority. The core function of the Council is to support excellent frontier research across all disciplines and all career stages. The Council promotes diverse career opportunities for researchers by partnering with enterprise and employers. The Council also has a particular role in supporting research with a societal focus, and has established partnerships across government and civic society. Further information: http://www.research.ie, @IrishResearch, #LoveIrishResearch