A night with the Media + Entertainment Psychology Lab (189, April 2018)

It gives us great pleasure to welcome the good people from the Media + Entertainment Psychology Lab back to Banter. They’ve joined us at Banteryard at The Beatyard festival in Dun Laoghaire 2016 and 2017 so we thought it was high time for them to take over a regular night and show their wares.

First things first: who are the Media + Entertainment Psychology Lab? Based out of the UCD School of Psychology, the Lab are a group of people who looks at how our engagement with immersive media and the boundary of perceived reality and entertainment can be harnessed to bring about positive change in people’s lives. It’s about the science of improving user experience, enjoyment, learning, physical and mental health.

ME_Lab2

For this event about “media is everywhere, but what do we get out of it?”, we’ll be joined by the following Lab members:

Claire Howlin – why the benefits of music listening on smart devices is more important than screen time risks

Brendan Rooney – separating the people from the devices, where do we draw the line

Nicola Fox Hamilton – the role of online platforms in dating and match making

Darragh Lynch – data mining and retrieving your media footprint from online dating websites

The details: Banter with the Media + Entertainment Psychology Lab takes place at The Liquor Rooms (Wellington Quay, Dublin 2) on Wednesday April 25 (reschedule from February 28). Doors open at 6pm and the event begins at 6.30pm-ish. Tickets are now available here and all proceeds will go to Chronic Pain Ireland.