Banter’s Conversation With Nile Rodgers (033, July 2012)

When we started out doing Banter back in 2009 in a tiny room upstairs in the Twisted Pepper, we never thought we’d end up here. A packed room in the Meyrick Hotel on Galway’s Eyre Square and the legendary Nile Rodgers in the Banter frame.

Our first involvement with the Galway Arts Festival, Banter’s Conversation with Nile Rodgers was a fantastic hour in the life of the man behind dozens and dozens of Chic hits, the producer who worked with everyone from David Bowie to Duran Duran and the author of the fantastic “Le Freak” autobiography. Many yarns were told as Rodgers talked and talked and talked some more. Every so often, he’d get the audience to yell “freak out!” which is something we must try out at future Banters. He even gave out to us for talking too fast and asking long-winded questions. Total legend.

Thanks to all at the Galway Arts Festival and Gugai at the Roisin Dubh for their help with this event.