The Banter Salon at Foxy John’s (039, Dec 2012)

It gives us great pleasure to head to Dingle, Co Kerry on December 1 and 2 for the Banter Salon at Foxy John’s as part of this year’s Other Voices festival in the town. It’s our first time in Dingle, our first time at Other Voices and our first time to host a Banter in a hardware shop. Yes, it has been a year for unusual Banter venues.

The Banter Salon arrives at Foxy John’s for Other Voices

The Banter Salon at Foxy John’s will feature a wide variety of discussions and conversations over the weekend including:

– Guardian media writer Lisa O’Carroll on a wild year for the media business

– Jerry Kennelly (Stockbyte and Tweak) and Kieran Murphy (Murphy’s Ice Cream) discussing where the spark to create something innovative come from

– Historian and author Diarmaid Ferriter on a decade of centenaries and if your ancestors realised what was coming down the line in 1912

– From the Silver Threads of Hope anthology of new Irish short stories, Peter Murphy and Siobhan Mannion read from their work and are joined by anthology editor Sinead Gleeson for a discussion about Irish literature in post-boom Ireland

The Observer’s editor, John Mulholland, on the view from the editor’s desk in 2012.

– Poet Paul Muldoon on his new book The Word On The Street: Rock Lyrics and

– Dermot McLaughlin, director of Derry City Of Culture 2013, on what’s ahead for the Maiden City in 2013.

There will also be performances at the Banter Salon on both days from various acts playing at Other Voices.

Admission will be free, but capacity is strictly limited so it will be first come, first served when doors open each day at 4pm.