Banter at Another Love Story (208, Aug 2019)

After awesome adventures in the wilds of Co Meath in 2017 and 2018, we’re delighted to be returning to Another Love Story at Killyon Manor on Friday August 16th.

For this year’s festival, we’re delighted to join forces with the awesome Siobhan Kane and her Young Hearts Run Free mischief-makers in The Library.

We have two great writers for you to meet

Karl Whitney is the author of two fascinating books. 2014’s Hidden Cities; Adventures and Explorations in Dublin was an acclaimed travelogue which looked at the capital city in the aftermath of the economic crash. This year’s Hit Factories: A Journey Through the Industrial Cities of British Pop is a musical and social history of modern Britain.

Ian Maleney is the author of Minor Monuments, a debut collection of beautifully haunting essays on memory, belonging and the meaning of home. Ian has also worked as a freelance arts journalist and web developer.

Teddy Pendergrass: If You Don’t Know Me (207, April 2019)

Teddy Pendergrass was one of the giants of soul and r’n’b. After starting out as a drummer, he initially found success as the lead singer of Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. Their hits like “Don’t Leave Me This Way” and “If You Don’t Know Me by Now” showcasing how that strong, emotional baritone of his was the icing on the cake when it came to the outfit’s slow jams.

After becoming frustrated in the band, he hit the solo route. Many of his hits were written by the songwriting and production team of Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, with the Philadelphia International duo providing a smashing backdrop of lush strings and big-band disco for that voice.

On the verge of true superstardom, Pendergrass was left paralysed from the waist down after crashing his Rolls-Royce in Philadelphia in 1982. A year later, he was back singing and onstage again. He worked with people like Whitney Houston and Nile Rodgers and played the Live Aid concert in 1985. He died in 2010 at the age of 59 from colon cancer.

Teddy Pendergrass: If You Don’t Know Me is the story of the rise and fall of the great soul singer. Directed and produced by Olivia Lichtenstein, the film features interviews with Pendergrass’ family and friends, as well as industry legends, including Stevie Wonder, and rarely seen archival footage.

Lichtenstein has produced and directed several award-winning documentaries including the BAFTA-award winning The Silent Twin: Without My Shadow. As former editor of BBC’s television documentary strand, Inside Story, she also directed Tongue-Tied, which won The Grierson Award.  In 2012, she joined as partner of Storyvault Films and projects she has directed include Broadmoor for ITV and Melyvn Bragg: Wigton to Westminster for BBC2.

Join us at The Sugar Club on Wednesday April 2nd for a screening of Teddy Pendergrass: If You Don’t Know Me preceded by a Banter conversation with Olivia Lichtenstein about the making of the film. Doors open at 8pm and tickets for the event are now available here.

Banter at First Fortnight (206, Jan 2019)

For the sixth year in a row, we’re very pleased and proud to be involved in the First Fortnight mental health arts festival. It’s a superb initiative which puts the focus firmly on challenging mental health prejudice through arts and cultural action at the very start of the year.

We’re joined for this event by All-Ireland winning hurler Seamus Hennessy. He will be talking about his life in hurling and his experiences growing up dealing with the traumatic experience of his mother’s suicide.

Seamus has helped to raise awareness around the issue of suicide particularly in relation to helping families cope with the tragedy of suicide and is about to embark on the gruelling challenge of the Antarctic Marathon where he hopes to raise €200,000 for Pieta House and Living Links Tipperary.

This event takes place at The Workman’s Club (Wellington Quay, Dublin 2) on Wednesday January 16th. Doors open at 7pm and tickets are available here.

Review of the Year (205, Dec 2018)

It is time for one of the most treasured rituals of the Banter year. We do this every December and we always have a blast. We did it in 2009 and 2010 and 2011 and 2012 and 2013 and 2014 and 2015 and 2016  and 2017. Every year, before the Christmas madness begins in earnest, we review the previous 12 months.

The format is simple: we invite a panel of news makers and news observers to talk about the stories of the last 12 months which have resonated with them.

As is always the case, we have an action-packed selection of stories to go through with our guests. We go high and we go low, we remember stuff which happened home and away, we remind you of the stories which made us all go “ooooh” (or “uuuuugh”). We also throw in some names who made headlines that everyone has totally forgotten about a few months later.

Our Banter Review of the Year panelists for 2018: Christine Bohan (acting editor The Journal), Conor Behan (GCN columnist, DJ, radio presenter, freelancer writer and pop music enthusiast), Jeanne Sutton (writer) and David Kenny (Professor of Constitutional Law at Trinity College Dublin).

The details: the Banter Review of the Year takes place at The Liquor Rooms (and big thanks to Beibhinn and her team for putting up with us for another year) on Tuesday December 11. Doors open at 6pm and we get the review underway at 6.30pm-ish. Tickets are available here and all proceeds will go to Threshold.

A Banter conversation with Johnny Rogan (204, Dec 2018)

We’re delighted for many reasons to be joining the Young Hearts Run Free crew for this special Banter converation with Johnny Rogan

For a start, it’s a blooming Young Hearts’ joint innit. It’s always a blast to join Siobhán Kane and her crew for one of their events.

For another, it’s part of No Idle Day, their occasional festival. We have fond memories of interviewing Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh at the last festival in 2016 in The Yacht. It was a colourful occasion.

But most of all, this event is one of the ones which marks 10 years of Young Hearts Run Free shenanigans. Banter recently marked 200 events so we know what it takes to stay in the game this long and it ain’t easy. That Siobhán and co have survived and thrived over 10 years of high jinks, gigs, venue hassles, festivals, events, readings, mini-festivals, happenings, escapades and what-have-yous is something to be applauded.  That they’ve raised oodles of cash for SImon Community is also worth mentioning. And, even though she’ll blush, it’s worth saluting that mighty Mayo woman at the heart of it all – she has single-handedly elevated and enriched the capital’s arts and culture landscape with these events.

And so to the matter at hand….this will be a comvesation with the great Johnny Rogan about the art of the biography. He’s the don at this game, the man who has written the definitive word on such acts as The Byrds (“Timeless Flight”), The Smiths (“Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance”), Van Morrison (“No Surrender”), Neil Young (“Zero To Sixty”), Ray Davies (“A Complicated Life”) and many, many more.

A Banter conversation with Johnny Rogan takes place at The Fumbally on Sunday December 9 from 3pm. It’s the first part of Lost In the Library, an event which also includes the first Irish screening of The Library Music Film, an interview with Martin Green and Jonny Trunk and music from The Bonk. Tickets are now available here and all proceeds go to the Simon Community.